- Green Prescription Programme
- Active Families
- Play in the Bay
- Outdoor Activities
- City on its Feet
- Keep on your Feet
- Maternal Health
- Activities at Home
Find out how you can stay active during and after your pregnancy
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your wellbeing and health.
Community exercise classes
Want to find a physical activity option in your area that is suitable for mums? It’s easy – check out the SportBoP ‘Get Involved Activity Directory’.
Here you will find activities and classes on offer for pregnant and new mums across the Bay of Plenty, such as Aqua Mums, walking groups and antenatal exercise classes. Get active and have fun trying something new!
Aqua Mums classes
Aqua Mums classes are an enjoyable way to stay fit and mobile, and are great for mums-to-be and those who have recently given birth.
The classes are a fun full-body workout in water and are suitable for all fitness levels. Participants are encouraged to go at their own pace and according to their individual fitness level. Aqua Mums is also a great opportunity to connect with other mums while being active. Find a class near you and give it a go!
Find an Aqua Mums class near you
Aqua Wahine - Whakatāne Aquatic and Fitness Centre
This is a women's only class with gentle aqua movements that are also suitable during pregnancy and post-birth. So give it a go and feel free to bring your friends along. $6 per class or see your Green Prescription advisor about accessing discounted rates. Thursdays at 12pm.
Check out their Facebook page for updates.
Aqua Mums - Te Puke
Visit the Te Puke Swim School website to find out more and to register. Contact Judy at Te Puke Swim School to register.
Aqua Mums - Mount Hot Pools
A fun class where babies can attend with mum. Aqua Mums is a full-bodied workout targeted at improving the fitness of mums. Classes are Wednesdays 10am - 10.45am and 5:45 to 6:30pm throughout the school term. $7 per person, per class. Term One 2020 classes start Wednesday 5 February.
Aqua Mums - Baywave, Mount Maunganui
A full-body, low impact workout in warm water to meet the needs of expectant mothers. Classes are on Mondays 11am-11.45am, $7 per class. Term 1 2020 classes start February 3.
Or register your interest by phoning 07 577 8550 or Karly.Schumacher@bayvenues.co.nz.
Benefits of Aqua Mums during pregnancy
- Help your body adjust to the water and water resistance.
- Loosen and relieve tension in your shoulders.
- Tone, strengthen and stretch the muscles of your entire body especially your sides which are often overlooked.
- Promote upper body flexibility and helps you to identify and control upper body tension.
- Allow you to practice running, coordination for overall conditioning without impact and or risk of injury.
- Help body alignment, relieves strain on back muscles, and strengthens abdominal muscles.
- Floating is widely recognised as relaxing, helping to reduce stress and increase positive endorphins in the body.