Our mission is to use sport to empower young people to become confident, connected, actively involved, and to become life long learners.
The Youth Engagement Programme commenced on 1 July 2012 and with the support of BayTrust the programme continues today.
The Youth Engagement Programme aims to use sport to empower youth in the Bay of Plenty, in particular disengaged youth. We do this by increasing participation in sport for young adults not just as athletes but as a volunteer coach, manager or being an essential volunteer in a sporting club.
All participants have an individualised plan developed which outlines targets to achieve and they are also provided with mentoring and support throughout the time in the programme.
Our Youth Programmes work with:
- Youth aged 16-18 who are not working or have left school and are not on any benefit.
- Unemployed Youth aged 18-24 who are receiving a benefit.
- Department of Corrections Youth aged 16-24 who are reintegrating back into the community.
Our core competencies and principles include:
- High Expectations - Supports and empowers all young people to learn and achieve personal excellence, regardless of their individual circumstances through sport.
- Community Engagement - Provide meaning for youth, connecting them with families, whanau and communities through volunteering in the community.
- Future Focus - Encourage young people to explore and engage in opportunities such as community work, sporting events and work experience.
- Managing Self - Building young people's self motivation, a "can-do" attitude, and seeing themselves as capable learners. Having respect for themselves and others.
- Relating to Others - Interacting effectively with a diverse range of people in a variety of contexts. Increasing their ability to listen actively, recognise different points of view, negotiate, and share ideas.
- Participating and Contributing - Young people who participate and contribute in communities have a sense of belonging and the confidence to participate within new contexts.
It takes a "community" to raise a child
We work with young people to retain an interest in sport for their own personal wellbeing, and to keep them involved and connected to their communities.
We work closely with the following partners to make this programme happen:
We also work closely with the NZ Police, Child Youth & Family Services, Ministry of Social Development, Department of Corrections, Ministry of Education, Secondary Schools and Community Groups.
Meet the Youth Team
Youth Team Leader
027 836 4006
Youth Engagement Advisor (Tauranga)
027 920 5451
Youth Engagement Advisor (Whakatane)
021 158 8542