- Youth Engagement Programme
- Strength & Opportunities Through Sport
- Wāhine Toa sole parent programme
- Early Childhood
Developing strong young wāhine
Develop confidence, discover your inner strength and form connections to help you reach your personal and professional goals
The Wāhine Toa Sole Parent Programme is designed for sole female parents aged 18 to 24 with children aged 1 and over. The programme helps participants develop strong physical and mental skills and independence.
Throughout the 10 week programme participants undertake units designed to promote positive change. These learning and development units are delivered and reinforced through sport and recreation activities.
Programme content includes:
- Personal development – self-awareness, self and relationship management, stress management, problem solving, decision-making and resilience.
- Professional development – career skills and planning, communication skills, problem solving, time management, everyday numeracy and literacy, writing a CV and cover letter, accessing and using My MSD.
- Sport and recreation activities including fitness sessions and excursions such as kayaking, tramping, rock climbing and volunteering at local sports events to help develop confidence and resilience.
"When I first joined the course I did not have a lot of confidence. I have learnt a lot about myself and how far I can push outside my comfort zone.”
Haylee, 24 years old, 1 child
- Female sole parents ages 18 to 24 with children aged 1+
- Residing in Tauranga or surrounding areas
- Can be beneficiaries of MSD and/or other welfare for sole parents
- Have arranged childcare prior to start of programme.
Dates and times
- Next programme: Please complete the below expression of interest form if you'd like us to contact you when 2021 programme dates are confirmed.
- Mondays – Thursdays, 9.30am to 2.30pm (to allow time for daycare/school pickup and drop-offs).
Expressions of interest
Please register your interest below and our team will be in touch when 2021 programme dates are confirmed.