- Youth Engagement Programme
- Strength & Opportunities Through Sport
- Wāhine Toa sole parent programme
- Early Childhood
Promoting positive change in youth
A six-week programme to help young people aged 18 to 24 develop personal and professional skills
The Strength and Opportunities Through Sport Programme is designed for young people aged 18 to 24. The programme helps participants develop personal and professional skills that prepare them for entering the work force or undertaking further study.
Applications for the July 2020 intake are now open
Throughout the 6-week programme participants undertake units designed to promote positive change. These learning and development units are delivered and reinforced through sport and recreation activities.
Programme content includes:
- Personal development – self-awareness, self and relationship management, stress management, problem solving, decision-making and resilience.
- Professional development – career skills and planning, communication skills, problem solving, time management, everyday numeracy and literacy, writing a CV and cover letter, accessing and using My MSD.
In addition to the learning units, participants also engage in daily sport and recreation activities including fitness sessions, excursions to develop confidence and resilience such as kayaking, tramping or rock climbing, and volunteering at local sport events.
“The course has boosted my motivation. It helped me become the person I am today: I am more active, I am healthier and I am much more confident.”
Sarsha Hamilton, 24 years old
- Ages 16 to 24
- Residing in Tauranga or surrounding areas
- Can be beneficiaries of MSD and/or other welfare
Dates and times
- Next programme: 13 July 2020 to 28 August 2020
- The programme runs Mondays to Fridays for six weeks
Applications for July 2020 programme
Applications are now open for the next programme starting 20 July 2020. Please register your interest below and our team will be in touch.