Tauranga Parade for Olympic Heroes
Friday, August 26, 2016
New Zealand Olympians will be welcomed home with a parade through the Tauranga CBD on Friday, 2 September from 11am.
The Tauranga Olympians Parade will make its way down Devonport Road and onto The Strand where it will end at Wharf Street. Following the parade, a short ceremony will take place at Edgewater Fan with a chance to hear from the athletes and Mayor Stuart Crosby.
The parade will include:
• Gold medallists and NZ flag bearers Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (sailing);
• Silver medallists Molly Meech and Alex Maloney (sailing);
• Silver medallist Luuka Jones (slalom canoe);
• Bronze medallist Sam Meech (sailing); and
• Olympian Jason Saunders (sailing).
More athletes may be included, dependent on their availability, over the next week.
This year’s Olympic Games have been notable for Bay of Plenty Olympians, with half of all New Zealand Olympic medals belonging to a Tauranga-born or raised athlete.
If you are coming into town for the Olympians Parade, please be prepared for large crowds and consider using public transport to avoid traffic and parking congestion. In the event of wet weather, the celebrations will be held at Baycourt Exhibition Space.
Share this article to: