Sport BOP Profiles | Introducing... Michelle!
Sunday, May 27, 2018
Michelle Barns: Recreation Advisor (WBOP)
1. Describe your role at Sport BOP.
I support the Western Bay of Plenty community to get involved in recreational activities – it’s all about encouraging people to give something a go, try something new, and have fun being active in and around our region.
This is achieved through themed activity months such as Bike Month, specific initiatives including the Spring Starter Series for Women, and challenges such as the School Holiday Scavenger Hunt.
2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job and why?
Hearing the feedback from those people who take part! I love hearing that people’s lives have been positively influenced through their involvement in recreation, and that they have not only experienced physical benefits, but enjoyed the social and mental benefits of being physical active too.
3. What is the most challenging aspect and why?
Often it’s the weather! Being able to offer people the chance to get involved for free or at a low-cost often means organising events/programmes that take place outside... And then it rains!
4. When you’re not working at Sport BOP, what do you like to get up to?
I love theatre – I’ve done a bunch of musical theatre shows and am currently rehearsing for my first ever play! I’m also often found in the gym, doing adventure events, traveling or enjoying good coffee.
5. And for fun, if you could have any superpower what would it be and why?
Definitely to be able to fly. I’d love to see the world from a different perspective and, of course, to be able to do flips in the air!
6. And anything else you would like to add about yourself that may be of interest?
I used to be a New Zealand representative gymnast.
Share this article to: