Paralympic Cycling - Talent ID Camp
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Paralympics New Zealand (PNZ) is calling for Expressions of Interest from disabled athletes to join the PNZ Cycling Programme, with the potential to be invited to attend the Cycling Talent ID Camp being held in New Plymouth from the 22nd – 24th February 2013.
Building on the success of the London 2012 Paralympic Games, where 4 medals were won by New Zealand cyclists, Paralympics New Zealand is searching for talented new athletes to join the Cycling Squad. The PNZ Cycling Programme is lead by world class cycling coach, Brendon Cameron (coach of Paralympic Champions Phillipa Gray & Laura Thompson and former coach of Olympic Champion Sarah Ulmer) and PNZ Lead Development Coach John Rich (coach of London Paralympian Susan Reid).
People who should apply have:
• A physical disability. *
• An athletic / fitness background.
• Commitment and prepared to train hard.
• Are between the ages of approximately 16-35 years.
• No previous cycling experience is required.
* Types of classifiable physical disabilities include: amputee or loss of limb, blind/visual impairment, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury & wheelchair users.
The Talent ID Camp will include:
• Coaching and advice by coaches Brendon Cameron and John Rich.
• Specialised para-cycling equipment; tandem cycles, handcycles, trikes, bikes.
• Cycling sessions on the road and also the cycling track/velodrome.
• Testing and assessment sessions.
• Cycling with experienced pilots (sighted cyclists for blind athletes).
• Information & expectations on the PNZ Cycling Programme.
Interested athletes should put forward their Expression of Interest to attend by contacting Hadleigh Pierson on firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 847 820 before Monday 21st January 2013.
Expressions of Interests will then be considered and athletes will be contacted to confirm whether they have been invited to attend the Cycling Talent ID Camp.
Athletes will be required to arrange and pay for their own flights to New Plymouth, and cover accommodation costs. Paralympics New Zealand will confirm exact logistics/costs with athletes following the closing date for registrations.
Athlete Development Manager - Paralympics New Zealand
SKYPE +64 21 847 820
hadleigh.pierson PO Box 99178, Newmarket, Auckland 1149, New Zealand
586 Great South Road, Greenlane, Auckland
Share this article to: