KiwiSport: Enabling sport and physical activity in our region
Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Written by Nick Chambers - Sport Manager
Established in 2009 the KiwiSport regional partnership fund has distributed $5 million across our region against a vast number of meaningful and positive sport and physical activity projects that affect young people from the Bay of Plenty.
Young people are a key part of sport, and research suggests that the needs and behaviours of young people have expanded and diversified in the last decade. Sport Bay of Plenty therefore recently worked closely with stakeholders and Sport New Zealand to establish how the fund operates moving forwards.
As sport, physical activity, recreation and the needs of young people evolve, it has become clear that there are new dimensions and considerations that need to be implemented to ensure sport continues to add value to our communities. Keeping pace with the needs and wants of young people is crucial to ensuring Sport Bay of Plenty continues to enrich the lives of our communities by providing experiences that are appropriate, meaningful and add value.
To that end the KiwiSport 2019/20 round will again be a huge enabler across our region, whilst ensuring that young people are at the heart of the fund's purpose. Inclusions in the 2019/20 criteria include a focus on initiatives that:
- Identify and focus on supporting low participating groups/communities with activities or sporting opportunities that meet their needs;
- Demonstrate how they meet the needs of young people (12-18 years);
- Focus on innovative approaches to getting girls and young women (10-18 years) participating in activities and sport that meet their needs;
- Prioritise activities outside of curriculum time;
- Focus on the importance of quality experiences by encouraging those applying for funding to understand and utilise the Sport NZ Three Approaches.
As KiwiSport approaches its 10th birthday it's worth ensuring we adopt a people first approach. Sport Bay of Plenty is excited to expand our scope to ensure that the Bay of Plenty region continues to enjoy projects and initiatives that lead toward a life-long love of sport and recreation.
The KiwiSport funding round opens on 1 July, 2019 and closes on 23 August, 2019. More details can be found below.
We look forward to once again supporting our sporting network in the coming year.
Share this article to: