Gear up for Bike Month
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Play in the Bay’s Bike Month returns to the Bay of Plenty this February with a full calendar of free cycling activities for all.
This year sees a rejuvenated workplace cycle initiative with the Aotearoa Bike Challenge replacing the popular Tour de Bay. It’s all about participation and by cycling just 10 minutes over the month of February, participants become eligible to win a range of prizes in various categories. Prizes include movie tickets, an e-bike, a TV, a Cadrona lift-pass, vouchers from Avanti Plus Mount Maunganui, Cycle Zone in Rotorua and Whakatane Cycle Centre and the major prize of a trip to Croatia or Canada! Workplaces are encouraged to sign up as many people as possible at www.lovetoride.net/bop.
The annual Go By Bike Day returns to the Western and Eastern Bay on Wednesday February 8th and Rotorua on Friday 10th. Ride to work or school, stop at the pit stops for refreshments and go in the draw to win biek shop vouchers. For a list of pit stops visit
This year’s calendar is split by different cycling subcategories:
• Explore and Get Active with Mountain Biking at Rawhiti or Summerhill or join one of the many Frocks on Bikes’ events.
• Get the Whanau Together for Ride the Ranch – Cycle Rogaine or Opotiki Dunes Trail Bike Ride.
• Challenge Yourself in a Cycling Group Handicap Series or sign up for one of the other road cycling events
• Learn and Gain Confidence on your bike by signing up for a cycling safety workshop.
• Give it a Go this February by trying mountain biking or BMX.
• Lead the Pack by becoming a ride leader.
• Do it Yourself and attend a bike maintenance workshop.
Bike Month coincides with the Rotorua Bike Festival, which runs from February 10th – 19th. The festival is ten days of serious cycling action and features events such as the exciting Giant 2W Gravity Enduro, Ride and Reflect – a meditative biking event, cycling photography workshops and the Mountain Bike Adventure Quest. Find out more at www.rotoruabikefestival.com/
There’s not enough space to list all the fantastic free Bike Month events so please visit
www.sportbop.co.nz/februarybikemonth or pick up a calendar from your local community centre, information centre or library and get cycling this February.
Share this article to: