Freedom camping in mobile homes
Monday, June 17, 2013
Tauranga City Council is proposing that freedom camping in mobile homes will be permitted at selected reserves and on certain roads car parks around the city.
Council proposes to increase the number of reserve areas where freedom camping is permitted from 5 to 27. This includes a number of active reserves.
The table below shows how many certified self contained vehicles would be permitted to freedom camp at each active reserve at any one time.
Section 3 of the proposed bylaw lists the conditions that must be met by freedom campers. These include:
• No depositing in or around a public litter receptacle of any household refuse;
• All waste and litter generated must be removed from the area;
• Do not prevent others from undertaking legitimate activities in the location;
• Do not stay in any one reserve for more than two nights per calendar month; and
• No lighting of any fires at the site.
Tauranga City Council is seeking your view on the proposed freedom camping sites.
Submission forms and the Proposed Freedom Camping Bylaw are available on Council’s website at www.tauranga.govt.nz (under the “Have Your Say” section).
Submissions close on 5.00pm Friday 19 July 2013.
Share this article to: